Who we are
It’s a vital and fascinating role, helping The Grocer – the bible of the food and drink industry – to set the agenda, via investigations, original research, rankings, big interviews and in-depth reports, as well as offering fresh and fun insights via listicles and podcasts etc.
The successful candidate will need to be super organised, full of ideas and creativity, and a bit of a polymath – able to conceive, commission and edit multimedia content on a wide variety of topics related to the £200bn+ food and drink industry – including:
· hot new food and drink launches
· the latest retail, shopper and consumer trends including rapid delivery and plant-based food
· the future of British agriculture, trade deals and food security
· climate change, recycling legislation and sustainability strategy
· health and obesity as well as food safety
· technological upheaval caused by automation, AI/ChatCPT etc
· creative marketing campaigns and social media developments
· price wars, promotions strategies and loyalty schemes
· the tribulations of multinational retail and fmcg giants but also exciting startups and the rich seam of entrepreneurship within the sector
· societal changes caused by the cost of living crisis, the aftermath of Covid and the economics of Brexit
It’s a brilliant time to be covering this huge, colourful and important industry, a perfect melting pot in which a skilled story teller can weave magic spells in long-read and video/podcast form.
You’ll need proven features commissioning and writing experience for this senior role, and the editing skills to craft sometimes average content into something snappy, engaging and insightful – at pace. You’ll also need a decent head for figures, strong analytical skills, creativity, an understanding of digital, and social media smarts.
You will also be expected to build strong industry contacts, with opportunities to represent The Grocer at key grocery events, on TV and radio, as well as chairing panels and judging awards.
It's a high-pressure role, but for the right candidate, working on a busy, vibrant and fun title, and as part of a big and award-winning team of journalists, it offers huge job satisfaction as well as a competitive salary and other benefits.
Please apply via the application form with an up to date copy of your CV, a covering letter and clips / examples of your writing.
Company Benefits Include:
- 25 days annual leave in addition to bank holidays- increasing by one additional day after 6 years, up to a maximum of 30 days.
- An additional day of leave for you to take on a cultural celebration day or on your birthday if you like. A day for you! At William Reed, we call this our “MeDay”.
- A volunteer day to take for supporting a chosen charity and giving back to the community.
- Opportunity for hybrid working
- Contributory Pension
- Life Assurance Scheme
- Group Income Protection
- Enhanced family-friendly leave pay entitlements
- Wellbeing benefits, including: A health care cash plan, Employee assistance programme and a 12-month wellness calendar for company-wide health, wellbeing, diversity & inclusion awareness dates.
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Electric Car Scheme
Why work for us?
We provide a supportive work environment and are committed to maintaining a healthy work/life balance for all of our employees. Working for William Reed means that you will be joining a stable organisation that is committed to developing its employees and brands.
We warmly welcome and encourage applications from talented individuals of all backgrounds and characteristics. If you need any support in accessing this opportunity, please do not hesitate to discuss this with us.